Who Is Most At Risk From Black Mould In The Home?


Mould is a type of fungus, and while it can be dangerous, it’s present in some form or another in the majority of UK homes, since it exists virtually everywhere. You may even notice some mould around the windows in your home, on the walls and ceilings in your bathroom, or any other area of your home in which condensation may form.

Generally, when mould is at a normal level in the environment, it isn’t particularly risky for anyone, but when black mould becomes more widespread, the services of a professional Mould Removal company could well be needed, since it could pose a risk to babies, young children, the elderly and anyone with compromised immunity.

What is black mould?

In fact, many different moulds are black in colour, but the two main types commonly found within UK homes are known as Cladosporium and Alternaria.

What problems can black mould cause for our health?

For anyone sensitive to the allergens produced by mould, it can result in a whole host of medical problems, and symptoms may present themselves in the form of, sneezing, red eyes, skin rashes and a runny nose. More seriously, however, certain moulds such as the two mentioned above, can have a nasty impact on the immune system, and be a trigger for problems like asthma attacks; long-term exposure to certain black moulds increases the risk of serious medical conditions, some of which can prove fatal.

Who is most at risk from black mould?

While anyone’s health can be affected by black mould – particularly following long term exposure – it’s typically babies and infants with smaller airways, that tend to be the most vulnerable, along with anyone suffering from a respiratory condition like asthma or allergies. Additionally, anyone suffering with a skin condition like atopic eczema or who has a compromised immune system, may be more susceptible to the perils of black mould.

What can you do to eliminate black mould in your home?

It’s important to act fast when you notice any type of mould growing in your home, and if the problem is relatively small, you may be able to manage it yourself by doing the following:

  • Use mould removal products to get rid of visible mould, hot soapy water or a cup of bleach added per gallon of water. Note, however, that bleach should NOT be mixed with other products for cleaning.
  • Get rid of any materials that are showing signs of mould, such as insulation, wallboards or carpets.

It’s really important that you wear protective clothing, goggles and gloves (and ideally, a face mask) while removing black mould, and minimize exposure to it as much as possible.

In the event that the black mould has spread too extensively throughout your home, or you don’t wish to remove it yourself for any reason, you should contact a professional who can provide you with an effective mould treatment in the North West, and get rid of the problem for you.

Prevention is better than cure

As with many problems in life, preventing black mould from occurring in the first place, is far better than having to deal with it once it has become a real issue and is beginning to affect the health of anyone living inside the property. With this in mind, it’s important to be vigilant in your home and check for signs of mould growth on a regular basis. If moisture is present in your home in excessive quantities, you must ensure that all potential sources are addressed, such as by fixing leaks, controlling dampness and humidity, and quickly drying any areas that may have flooded. 

As well as this, you should try to ventilate your home well and keep it as warm as possible, as mould is at its happiest in conditions that are both cool and damp.

If you’re facing a problem with any kind of mould in your home, don’t wait until your health, or that of anyone else who shares the property with you, is affected, and call out a professional mould removal service at the earliest.

Leave A Reply